Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Under Pressure

So I'm half-way through my 4-day work week, and everything's as to be expected. Last night I got home at 8pm and tonight was slightly earlier at 7. But -- having my meal plan in place before the week began has really helped, and I am sticking to it. Even though I started the dinner prep at 8pm last night, dinner was on the table by 8:30. If I really think about it, by the time I would have called in my order to my favorite take-out place, picked it up, and brought it home, it probably would have been 8:25. So for an extra 5 minutes, I got a delicious home-cooked meal that didn't break the bank or crash the calorie count for the day.

What I am really proud of though, was tonight's meal. Tonight I conquered my fear of --- the pressure cooker. I've had my pressure cooker now for almost 6 months, bought in a moment of, "Oh, that would be a GREAT addition to the kitchen!" I brought my beautiful, shiny new 5 quart Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker home and then started to hear the old wives tales. They blow up, it'll burn you, you'll have food on the ceiling... So it was relegated to the garage, and I've been a pressure cooker chicken until this week. I found a recipe for Prosecco and Parmesan Risotto from Cooking Light, promising amazing results, start to finish, in less than 20 minutes. NO WAY. YES freakin' WAY. It worked. It always blows my mind when I try something new and it turns out right. Not only right, but GOOD. I had dinner on the table tonight by 7:25! And it was de-lish-us and better than any of my "traditional" risotto recipes have ever turned out, which take 20-30 minutes of just stirring and incorporating stock. So tonight, I saved time and elevated my everyday. I love it when it all comes together... especially with a little bit of the bubbly.  Happy Cooking, -B

No comments:

Post a Comment